When one enjoys a fulfilling s ex life, it is rare that one worries about the quality of the sperm or the number of spermatozoa. But the day we decide to have children, we try to put all the chances on our side, starting with strong and enduring sperm that can easily reach the egg and fertilize it. However, this widespread habit and harmless appearance may jeopardize your design project by reducing the quality of sperm. Discover which one!
Where does the sperm come from?
Sperm is the whitish fluid secreted during ejaculation. It is composed of three main elements:
- The pre-seminal liquid produced by the Cowper glands which has the role of removing all urine from the urethra and lubricating the glans,
- The seminal fluid secreted by the prostate and the seminal vesicles helps to nourish the spermatozoa, to confer their mobility and to neutralize the natural acidity of the vagina to allow them to reach the neck of the uterus,
- Spermatozoa, which are the male reproductive cells whose role is to fertilize the egg.
For each ejaculation, the amount of sperm released is 2 to 6 ml with an average concentration of 200 million spermatozoa. Among the criteria that determine the quality of sperm, are the number of sperm it contains, their strength and mobility.
A habit that reduces the quality of sperm
There are several factors that negatively influence sperm quality, such as a diet rich in processed and industrial foods, stress, overweight, smoking, alcohol, and prolonged exposure to chemicals or heat.
According to a study conducted by experts at the University of Copenhagen, the results of which were published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, a habit that seemed as harmless as watching television reduced the quality of sperm. one third. This study, conducted on 1,200 healthy young men, showed that the group that spent nearly 5 hours a day in front of their small screen had a sperm concentration of about 37 million / ml, compared to 52 million / ml for the group that almost did not look at her.
According to these same experts, this drop in concentration is associated with that of the level of testosterone in the body, which is the male s ex hormone essential for the production of spermatozoa. The explanation for this phenomenon comes from the close link between the number of hours spent watching TV and the way of life that is generally unhealthy and favors bad habits such as junk food consumption and a sedentary lifestyle. A link that fortunately does not exist if you replace the television by a computer, unless it is placed on the knees, thus increasing the heat of the testicles.
On the other hand, if the man succeeds in maintaining a regular physical activity despite his weakness for television, he could counteract the reducing effect of sperm quality and thus preserve his se xual health and fertility.
How to boost the quality of your sperm?
To increase the quality of sperm and boost sperm concentration, here are some tips to follow daily:
- Adopt a healthy and balanced diet that contains nutrients that boost the quality of sperm such as vitamin B9 (broccoli, chews …) whose deficiency leads to infertility; omega-3s (sardines, mackerel, rapeseed oil) that soften the cell membrane and facilitate fertilization, etc.
- Limit your consumption of red meat, industrial foods, and coffee,
- Improve your lifestyle by reducing your stress, sleeping enough and stopping smoking and alcohol,
- Keep a healthy weight or lose weight in case of obesity
- Do regular sports,
- Drink 1.5 to 2 liters of water a day,
- Maintain the ideal temperature of the testicles (about 34 °) by avoiding wearing too tight clothes, bathing too hot or going to the sauna often,
- Avoid placing your mobile phone in the pocket of your pants, because of the likely harmful effect of radiation,
- Minimize your exposure to chemicals and products
- Make love regularly by having an ejaculation every 2 to 3 days.